Sunday 28 September 2014

Review: The Equalizer (2014)



I'm a huge fan of Denzel Washington. I pretty much love anything he is in. I haven't seen everything though, and that is something I must rectify. When I heard he was doing The Equalizer, I was very excited. Director Antoine Fuqua (Training Day with Denzel) has proven he is no slouch when it comes to quality action/drama films, and the result of the two together again is great.

This film has a slow introduction to the character's at play, but not boring. We get to learn about our Equalizer and his life at the moment and the people he's interacting with daily. From this we can see he is just a guy with a dark past, but with a heart of gold. But, as the film gets going, it releases its rage on you, as you feel every punch and action beat the film throws out. It's not glossy action, but a raw hard hitting type. Robert McCall is a quiet and calm man, but has a ferociousness that, if unleashed, will decimate everything in his path. 

The story, in brief, sees McCall help out a young girl caught up in the prostitution racket for Russian mobsters. He doesn't know the extent to which these people's power extends when he "assists" her. This in-turn unleashes a villain that is quite satisfactory in the form of Marton Csokas. This guy is always playing bad dudes, but I really liked this one. He had the brawn and brains to match those of McCalls. What plays out is a great game of sorts between the two.  

I really enjoyed this film. It has some imaginative fight/action scenes, great character development and, well, I love a good vengeance orientated movie as well. Denzel would have to be one of my favourite actors, so I may be a little biased when it comes to his movies. But, seriously, this is a quality action/drama/thriller film. Fuqua has proved to me at least that he knows how to craft a solid picture, and this is certainly of high standard. I hope this film is a success, as it very much deserves to be. 

Rating:

4 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment